Yes, you can. With 3.9 million cat owners in Australia, it’s not surprising there’s a trend towards holidaying with your feline friend. Here are some tips for finding cat-friendly accommodation.
• Firstly, there are lots of new resources popping up that cater specifically for kitties and their humans. Catexplorer run podcasts which interview feline experts, hold meetups and share knowledge on their experience of travelling with their cats.
• You can also try searching hashtag + plus your choice of destination such as #catfriendlynsw to find places where other people have taken their kitties in locations on Instagram.
• While the big holiday accommodation sites such as Airbnb, Bookings and HomeAway have pet-friendly filters be sure to double-check as they may state ‘pet friendly’ but this could mean dogs are only welcome in the back yard. Send a direct message to the property manager to check if cats are welcome inside.
• In the book, Travelling with Pets on Australia’s East Coast, there are cat icons to denote which types of pets are allowed at each property listed which has done the heavy lifting of finding a suitable place for you.
• Lastly, if you find accommodation that you would really like to stay but it does not state whether they allow pets, it’s worth contacting them directly and enquiring if they would consider your cat. You can also offer to pay an additional deposit to safeguard against possible damage. Remember property managers are more likely to agree to this when it’s offseason. I have had some success with this approach in the past and once had an entire resort to ourselves in the Hunter Valley.
To ask our pet expert your question, please download our free PetsForever app and post it in Q&A.
If you wish to become our expert or ethical partner, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The information we offer is educational in nature and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis or treatment. Our recommendation is to always do your research.
Please see our Terms & Conditions